Bill Assistance and Resources

Below are various resources that may be able to help you pay your water and other utility bills and expenses.

Bill Assistance

Due to restrictions in California’s constitution, MSWD is not able to offer discounted water rates or bill credits/forgiveness to low-income or senior customers; however, the District does offer payment plans to help customers bring their accounts current. In addition to this, MSWD has partnered with multiple community agencies to help customers in need. 

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) 

LIHWAP is a temporary emergency assistance program to help low-income families with assistance with water/sewer bills up to $2,000. To receive help, you must be a Riverside County resident, have an unpaid water/sewer bill, and meet the income guidelines. For more information, please visit Riverside County's Community Action Partnership website at: Utility Assistance Program ( Please note: this program is ending in March 2024. The last day to apply for funding is March 15, 2024. 

Mission Springs Water District worked with the Inland SoCal United Way to establish a fund specifically to help low-income customers pay their water bills, Help2Others or H2O. Mission Springs Water District employees make thousands of dollars in contributions to this fund (also supported by MSWD vendors), and to the United Way to help fill other needs in our community. The United Way may also be able to refer you to a variety of community organizations or programs to help with your other expenses.

How to apply for assistance:

Other Resources

We’ve also assembled the below list of resources that may help you pay your water bill, or offset other critical needs like food and electricity.

  • United Lift assists renters with unpaid rent or utility bills. This program also provides an additional three months’ worth of rent. For more information and to view program requirements, please visit [currently not accepting applications] 
  • Food Now DHS is a food pantry located within the Desert Hot Springs area that provides food distribution and related assistance. Visit or call 760-288-7878.
  • For Southern California Edison customers in Desert Hot Springs, there is a once-annual utility assistance program that can be accessed through Salvation Army at 760-324-2275 or through Catholic Charities at 760-342-0157.
  • There is also a Solutions for Seniors program with Jewish Family Services. The seniors do not need to be Jewish (or any religion) to benefit from the service and JFS is able to do a complete evaluation of the senior’s finances and needs to see what programs they qualify for. Often seniors qualify without realizing what is available to them. Call 760-325-4088.
  • Another need of seniors and others in need is food. FIND Food Bank is the very best resource for food distribution, and they keep a current list of all the food pantries in the area. United Way funding helps significantly with this resource. Visit or call 760-775-3663.
  • There is also 211 - which is similar to 411, but it is for social services information. Anyone can dial 211 from a landline or a cell line and get accurate information on human and health care services in Riverside County.
  • If you’re 60 years old or greater and have tried the resources above without luck, Riverside County’s Office on Aging may be able to help pay your utility bill. Visit or call 951-867-3800.

We also encourage all customers to make sure they are using water efficiently. This will save water and money. Checking your home and yard regularly for leaks will help you avoid high bills.