As demand on our region’s limited water resources increases, it becomes more important that we make conservation our mission. Because up to 75 percent of our residential water is used outdoors, choosing water-efficient plants for your landscape can make a big impact in reducing the consumption of this valuable, irreplaceable resource.
Desert Landscaping Resources:
- MSWD's Water Efficient Landscaping Guidelines
- MSWD water-wise plant guide
- Desert Horticultural Society of the Coachella Valley (DHSCV)
- Water Education Water Awareness Committee - WEWAC's Plant of the Month
- Alliance for Water Awareness and Conservation - AWAC's Plant of the Month
- CVWD's online version of "Lush & Efficient - Gardening in the Coachella Valley ."
- The New Mexico Office of the State Engineer provides an excellent array of informative brochures and booklets available in PDF format on their website. Be sure to check out "The Enchanted Xeriscape," "Xeriscape 101" and "The Complete How-To Guide to Xeriscape."
- The Southern Nevada Water Authority provides excellent water-wise irrigation information on their website and in a series of short videos posted on their Irrigation Tips page.
- The CA Department of Water Resources / Office of Water Use Efficiency provides excellent landscape resources, including a booklet entitled "Water Efficient Landscapes. "